Important Happenings in
Week Ending: March 9, 2018
By: Matthew Rose & Sable K. Nelson
CROI 2018 Updates
The 25th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections 2018 (CROI 2018) was held from March 4 to 7, 2018, in Boston, Massachusetts. Several noteworthy announcements were made:
A new CDC analysis suggests HIV prevention pill is not reaching most Americans who could benefit – especially people of color.
Utilization of HIV Testing and Prevention Services Among Persons Who Inject Drugs – Indiana, 2016
The vaginal ring: more HOPE to the DREAM? Higher adherence and better effectiveness seen in open-label ring studies
For more on these and other highlights from CROI 2018,
READ → http://www.aidsmap.com/croi-2018
Black AIDS Institute Launched its Black Women and PrEP Campaign
On March 7th, the Black AIDS Institute launched a PrEP and Black Women’s compendium containing: fact sheets, brochures, posters, presentations, etc. that were created for and by Black women. For more information,
Greater Than AIDS Releases New #AsktheHIVDoc
Ahead of National Women and Girl HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, the Greater Than AIDS campaign released a series of short videos featuring Dr. Charlene Flash, an HIV specialist and primary care doctor based in Houston, TX. Focusing on women, Dr. Flash provides the latest about HIV risk, prevention, testing, and treatment. For more information,
WATCH → https://www.greaterthan.org/askthehivdoc-women-hiv/?utm_campaign=KFF-2018-Mar-HCMP-AsktheHIVDoc&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=61143014&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-97ETfCqO-oaMfe01YNdENy7LVhS1q3VbPI75JbYSMUc8fyfokVE1Di2nbGDsPIAw1UX9eLUPNlQNyOQh2C-K6PW4_iLw&_hsmi=61143014
What NMAC is Doing About It
- NMAC remains vigilant in its advocacy to protect FY18 & FY19 government funding.
- NMAC was in several meetings on the Hill talking to offices about the importance of funding HIV
- NMAC work to get congressional offices to support the funding letters around the Minority AIDS Initiative
TAKE ACTION: The President’s budget has cut or eliminated many important HIV/AIDS programs, it’s going to be a fight and our movement cannot afford to stand on the sidelines. If we don’t support and advocate for HIV funding and programs, who will? Funding decisions for FY18 will occur in the next few weeks, so your U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives need to hear from you.
- Find your U.S. Senators: https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
- Find your U.S. Representative: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
Also, MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE REGISTERED TO VOTE in time for the primary and general elections happening this year. For more information,
- There are no voter registration deadlines in March.
Finally, PARTICIPATE IN THE PRIMARY ELECTION(S) in the month of March:
- Illinois has a primary election on 3/20/2018. Your vote matters! For more information,